Today I pulled some more weeds. (We did not have much time today.)
My Tomatoes and Sweet Peas are doing well:
Sweet Pea and Grape Tomato
Friday, April 22, 2005
Identify three flowering plants adapted to each of the following conditions:
- Full Sun: Bear's-Breech, Fern-leaved Yarrow, Common Yarrow
- Partial Shade: Spark's Variety Monkshood, Spring Adonis, Japanese Pearly Everlasting
- Well Drained Dirt: Bear's-Breech, Fern-leaved Yarrow, Japanese Pealy Everlasting
- Wet dirt: Hollyhock, Columbine, Wormwood
Thursday, April 21, 2005
Thursday, April 14, 2005
Widow boxes can
- Elevate your garden
- Make your house look attractive
- Give you a garden to care for upstairs
- Blow beautiful sents to you when the wind blows and the window is open.
- Make a box that is big enough for your plants
- Paint it with a couple layers of exterior-grade acrylic latex
- Mount it on the wall of your house
- plant plants
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
I have to list three pests and one way to control them (other than chemicals).
- White Flies: Properly space plants so the air can move around them.
- Cut Worms: Home made cardboard collars that are stapled at the sides.
- Slugs and Snails: Circle the inside of the flower bed that is being attacked with rough sand, ashes, or ground limestone.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Sometimes plants need drainage to do well. From what I understand, if you have a flat layer of clay below your plants then when you water them the water will collect down at the bottom and you plants won't do well. So (I think) the solution is to lay a pipe or lay rocks in the bottom of the bed and fluff up the soil. Make sure the rocks or pipes are inclined in the direction you want it to go.
Monday, April 11, 2005
Hotbeds and coldframes are boxes in which you would put plants that you want to prepare for the great outdoors. A hotbed has an electric wire running through it to keep the plants warm. However, a coldframe does not have this ability. For a coldframe you have to pile dirt or mulch around it. On both of them however when it gets hot you a have to open it a little ways. The hotter it is outside, more open it should be.